The Student News Site of Rockwood Summit High School

Poll

Which schedule do you prefer?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

In an attempt to hold her ground, sophomore Jacida Kirk pushes her opponent off of her to get out of her grasp. The tournament took place at Washington High School on Jan. 19.
Falcons finish strong at Washington meet
Lily Maginn, Features Editor • February 2, 2024
Read Story
Musical year in review 2023
Musical year in review 2023
Abbott Lackey, Layout Editor • February 2, 2024
Read Story
To promote classes to incoming freshmen, business teacher Elizabeth DAngelo explains the benefits of taking her classes to eighth grade student Carson Farewell. Curriculum night took place on Jan. 24 in the commons
Curriculum night for eighth graders
Sonya Phillips, Business Manager • February 2, 2024
Read Story
Drum stick in hand, junior Finnley Free
poses with their instruments. “My dad
played the banjo in a blue grass band so I’ve been going to concerts and my dad’s shows ever since I was little and it’s always been a big part of my life,” Free said.
Junior juggles multiple musical instruments
Read Story
25 Things about Jason Sinclair
25 Things about Jason Sinclair
Abbott Lackey and Lily MaginnFebruary 2, 2024
Read Story

The problem with legacy admissions

In The Talon’s September 2023 edition, our staff reported on a landmark Supreme Court case that irrevocably shifted the college admissions landscape. After a lawsuit filed by Students for Fair Admissions against Harvard University and University of North Carolina made it to their docket, the Court overruled their precedents and prohibited the use of race as an admission factor for universities. 

In Chief Justice John Roberts’ majority opinion, he writes that affirmative action unconstitutionally asserts that “the touchstone of an individual’s identity is not challenges bested, skills built, or lessons learned but the color of their skin.” Essentially, Roberts is saying that one’s lineage does not define them and should not define their admissions likelihood– unless, of course, it’s an Ivy League lineage. 

Legacy applicants, or applicants for a college where their family members are alumni, have always been given a leg up when it comes to admissions. According to the ACLU, 73 of the nation’s top 100 colleges take legacy admissions into account, and the advantages granted to these students are significant. Documents from Harvard admissions revealed that legacies made up about 30 percent  of each year’s admitted class while only making up around five percent of applicants. 

More discussions about legacy admissions have started after this summer’s SCOTUS ruling. If providing equal opportunity in education is such a crucial element of our democracy that affirmative action, a program used to increase racial diversity, must be banned, why are legacy admissions, a program founded on racism, allowed to exist? It is no secret that legacy admissions began to keep a growing immigrant population (namely, a Jewish immigrant population) out of elite institutions in the 1920s. Nearly 100 years later, the process continues to alienate the majority of applicants to top colleges, especially those who come from lower or middle class families. 

The issue has raised bipartisan outrage, with legislation such as the Fair College Admissions for Students Act and  the MERIT Act being introduced to Congress to ban the legacy preference. The Department of Education even launched an investigation into legacy admissions at Harvard; however, as college application season comes to an end for the class of 2024, little has been done on the legal front to combat the process’ negative effects. 

By allowing the use of legacy admissions while outlawing affirmative action, the Court upholds a hypocrisy that fails the students they are supposed to protect. If equal opportunity is truly something our government stands for, their stance against legacy admissions should be just as harsh as it was against affirmative action.