The Student News Site of Rockwood Summit High School

Poll

Which schedule do you prefer?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

New and Improved: The 2024 Cardinals
Emery Gregston, Sports Editor • April 24, 2024
Read Story
 Sophomore Leila Miller manages the junior varsity baseball team.
Sophomore manages JV baseball team
Suham Alhamad, Social Media editor • April 24, 2024
Read Story
Senior Assassin
Kamryn Samlalsingh, Associate Editor • April 24, 2024
Read Story
The Rockwood School District Choirs pose for a photo at the center of Times Square in New York City.
Rockwood choirs tackle The Big Apple
Julia Worley, Website Editor • April 23, 2024
Read Story
Social Studies teacher takes on PE department
Brice Davis, Of the Talon staff • April 23, 2024
Read Story

Summit’s parking lot epidemic

Everyday+students+run+to+their+cars+at+3%3A17+in+hopes+of+getting+home+before+the+parking+lot+traffic.+Junior+Tejus+Krishnan+sprints+to+his+car+amongst+other+students.+
Raghed Hadi
Everyday students run to their cars at 3:17 in hopes of getting home before the parking lot traffic. Junior Tejus Krishnan sprints to his car amongst other students.

Our school parking lot strays away from the normal high school lot. While other high school students may hang around the halls after school to socialize, Falcons rush to their cars. Some may say this is a reflection of our school system. In reality, it is a reflection of student’s poor driving habits. Considering we as teens are more susceptible to road rage, it is for the majority’s best that one third of our drivers leave before the remaining two thirds make it to their car. This raises the question, how much time does running to your car save? After having two students with spots next to each other test the question, we found that walking will add 11 minutes and 16 seconds to your journey home. After directing this experiment, we conducted a list to help the six percent of sophomores with a spot understand the unspoken lot rules in hopes they no longer keep ruining it for everyone! First, when allowing other drivers to merge into the main line, only let one car out of every other lane. The person behind you does not want to come to a complete stop because you want to let your crush out. Second, be mindful of East Jesus. Students with spots in East Jesus walk 748 steps to and from their cars each day. While the East Jesus Juniors are the one’s stampeding the halls at 3:17 Monday-Friday, it is crucial we empathize for their calves. However, this does not mean you should be the person that stops traffic to let all the cars out of East Jesus– the remaining 400+ students behind you will hate you. Lastly, lock in before operating a vehicle amongst 389 of your classmates’ cars. Stay aware of your surroundings, looking away for a second will get you cut off and probably embarrassed. It is crucial to remember, if you do not feel comfortable driving in the lot, wait the extra 20 minutes for a clearing. This should not be confused with being the jerk who drifts into oncoming traffic. No student has been driving for longer than three years. On average, six crashes happen in our lot by Summit students. We believe if students make effective change, we can bring those numbers down next year! Our last and final testament is for our freshman. As hard as it is for your parents to wake up and bring you here, it is harder for us to experience their attitude. Just because they could be our parents, doesn’t mean they are. Let’s make sure their sailors’ mouths stay within the four walls of your home and not in front of the school of random teenagers.