The Student News Site of Rockwood Summit High School

Poll

Which schedule do you prefer?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

From left to right, seniors Grant Uelsmann, Sam Bellamy, Austin Conger, and Reece Futcher of Lindbergh High School dance the night away at Prom.
A new version of Prom
Raghed Hadi, Photo Editor • May 3, 2024
Read Story
At their Japan table, sophmore Hiroki Fingerhut and his sister Amane, a seventh grader at Rockwood South Middle School, teach kids how to create origami at the fair. Intercultural night took place at RSMS on May 1.
Fenton hosts 2nd Intercultural Night
Mariam Sedeiqi, Talon Staff • May 3, 2024
Read Story
Music department receives the Support Music Merit Award
Johanna Kruyne, of Talon Staff • May 3, 2024
Read Story
Singing along to Tomorrow from the musical Annie, freshman Becca Wirthlin performs in Scenes From Seasons Past. The show took place on April 26 and 27.
Falcon Players commemorate their history with Scenes from Seasons Past
Mary Corkery, Editor-in-Chief • May 3, 2024
Read Story
With a baton in hand, senior Ali Sandler strides forward ahead of Kendra Jennings of Cahokia. The 4x100m relay placed fourth at the Siebert Finch Invitational on April 13.
Track takes on Siebert-Finch
Sonya Phillips, Business Manager • May 3, 2024
Read Story

Gun violence on the rise

Note: CNN reviewed incidents reported by the Gun Violence Archive, Everytown, and Education Week. Source: CNN school shootings database Graphic: Alex Leeds Matthews, CNN
As of April 18 there has been 18 school shootings in the US. Light purple shows how many shootings had occurred at this time in past years. Chart courtesy of CNN.

On April 22, a still unknown person called 911 and made a threat of violence against all Rockwood high schools. The call was a catalyst for increased security and widespread panic in the four schools. This, sadly, is not an isolated incident. Just last school year Marquette High School received multiple bomb threats and resorted to online learning.
Violence in schools is a common problem in the United States. So far in 2024, there have been 14 school shootings at K-12 schools, leaving 9 dead and at least 25 injured. Unfortunately, school shootings aren’t stopping; if anything, they are becoming more frequent. Every year since 2017 (excluding 2020) the amount of shootings has increased, with last year’s total peaking at 82.
Missouri has fallen victim to 16 school shootings in the last 15 years. Other states such as Texas have experienced 58 shootings.
It is clear to me that school shootings are an epidemic that only seems to plague the US. America is the leading country in school shootings with 288. Mexico has the second most shootings, a total of 8. Unfortunately, the kids of today have to go to school scared that they won’t come home. Teaching 5-year-olds what to do if someone comes to the place they are supposed to be learning and tries to take their lives is extremely dystopian and scary. It goes without saying that schools should be a safe place for kids of all backgrounds, but it’s not, and that’s the most upsetting part about this.
The staggering amount of violence is no fault of the students of today, but more the system that seems to fail young people time and time again. The Constitution guarantees all American citizens the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Unfortunately, a multitude of antiquated laws are taking away those inalienable rights for the students and faculty, murdered in schools.
I want to take this opportunity to reset the active assailant protocol. In the case of an intruder follow the 4E procedures. Educate: Pay attention to what’s going on around you, and educate the people in your school. If you hear a threat being made assume it is serious and report it to the administration. Evade: lockdown the classroom, barricade the door, and draw the blinds. The goal of this tactic is to shelter in place. Escape: If you have the chance to escape, run until you feel safe, go to a safe house, local business, or the school rally points. If you did not go to the rally points, notify the police of your whereabouts when it is safe to do so. Engage: If all else fails and you are out of options you are to engage with the armed assailant, but before taking that risk do everything you possibly can to get yourself to safety.
This article was not written with any malicious intent. I do not mean to generate panic. I only wish to reiterate facts and information with the hope of making Summit a safe place for all.