The Student News Site of Rockwood Summit High School

Poll

Which schedule do you prefer?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

At their Japan table, sophmore Hiroki Fingerhut and his sister Amane, a seventh grader at Rockwood South Middle School, teach kids how to create origami at the fair. Intercultural night took place at RSMS on May 1.
Fenton hosts 2nd Intercultural Night
Mariam Sedeiqi, Talon Staff • May 3, 2024
Read Story
Music department receives the Support Music Merit Award
Johanna Kruyne, of Talon Staff • May 3, 2024
Read Story
Singing along to Tomorrow from the musical Annie, freshman Becca Wirthlin performs in Scenes From Seasons Past. The show took place on April 26 and 27.
Falcon Players commemorate their history with Scenes from Seasons Past
Mary Corkery, Editor-in-Chief • May 3, 2024
Read Story
With a baton in hand, senior Ali Sandler strides forward ahead of Kendra Jennings of Cahokia. The 4x100m relay placed fourth at the Siebert Finch Invitational on April 13.
Track takes on Siebert-Finch
Sonya Phillips, Business Manager • May 3, 2024
Read Story
Library receives DESE Exemplary School Library Program award
Read Story

Are New Year’s resolutions beneficial?

At some point in everyone’s lives, resolutions or goals for the new year are made. But are these goals or resolutions actually fulfilled each year and are they being worked on throughout the entire year?
According to “Why Most New Year’s Resolutions Fail” from Ohio State University, researchers found that only nine percent of resolutions that are made are actually accomplished and there are typically four reasons that lead to failure. These four reasons include lack of accountability, not expecting obstacles, setting goals at a time when change isn’t necessary, and setting larger goals that make it harder for progress to be seen. There are steps that can be taken in order to prevent these reasons from stopping people from achieving goals.
Studies have shown that when people not only write out their resolutions but set goals and create steps in order to achieve them, they are more likely to succeed. It can also be helpful to tell someone about the goals that are made because they can help make sure steps are taken in order to accomplish the goal.
Another reason includes obstacles that might get in the way, such as taking on too much too quickly. It can be beneficial to think of future possibilities and possible setbacks that might occur. Planning ahead for these obstacles can help to prevent failure of these goals or resolutions, but the majority of people don’t think of those possibilities.
Sometimes setting goals and creating resolutions only happen due to it being an unwritten law. If the reasons resolutions are made is due to its traditional value, then there will be a lack of motivation to succeed in said goals or resolutions. These goals should be made in order to create a vision of what you want your future to look like.
Studies show that when challenging goals are made, you will be likely to be more motivated in acheiving them. It is also better if the success of these goals can be measured and will allow for progress to be seen throughout the year which will in turn provide motivation in fulfilling these goals.
There are many things that can be done in order to accomplish New Year’s resolutions and goals– it all depends on if people are willing to put in the time and effort it requires.
The Talon believes that while creating goals and New Year’s resolutions can be important and beneficial, it is also important to make sure that these goals and resolutions are actively being worked on.