Club highlights

Club highlights
Biodiesel
Biodiesel

Biodiesel club is open for students at Summit interested in creating environmentally friendly things such as diesel fuel and soap, then going to events to show off those products.
Senior member Phu Phan said during meetings they make byproducts and enjoy their time together.
“We basically make soap and work on automotive and just generally have a good time,” Phan said.
The club holds its meetings on Mondays after school at their designated shed where they work on things assigned to them.
Sponsor Daniel Money said meetings vary and they work on many different things.
“We either run a fuel batch where we produce it, other times we work on soap production and the soap is a bi-product of our biodiesel production process, other times [we] prep for different events, like we go to the science center and we have booths where we get visitors, so we’re prepping for that or fun other things, or working on the vehicles, and we have the two trucks,” Money said.
Discover the thrill of transforming used cooking oil into eco-friendly fuel and soap and join a community passionate about substantial energy in the Biodiesel club.

SPACE Cadets
SPACE Cadets

Students Promoting Awareness in the Community Everyday (S.P.A.C.E Cadets) is a club run by Health and P.E. teacher Christine Hohlt. This club’s efforts go to creating crafts to sell at fairs, then donating the money to an organization of the club’s choosing.
Promoting awareness is something that is really important to many individuals here at Summit, so Hohlt lets her students pick and choose where they would like to focus their awareness.
“Whatever they want to do, I let them choose. It just depends on who you have. This year they chose Relay for Life for our money from the craft fair here to go to,” Hohlt said.
Different topics advocated for may include cancer awareness, drug abuse, or teenage emotional health. Hohlt said how it’s crucial to help her students spread knowledge about unheard topics.
“There’s a lot of things not talked about. Mental health and other things like that. So, I feel like it’s important to get that stuff out,” Hohlt said.
Sophomore Natalie Russo said that since she joined S.P.A.C.E Cadets, she has gotten further insights on current matters. “I feel like it [S.P.A.C.E Cadets] really just brought more [me more] knowledge about different issues,” Russo said.

Meat Club
Meat Club

Meat Club has been a place for students to join together to embrace what they love since 2017. Material Process teacher Mike Brown sponsors the club.
Brown used to teach at Kirkwood where the Meat Club originated. He switched to RSHS and began the Meat Club here, where it has been a club for seven years.
“We were cooking steaks on a Master Forge grill in the classroom. Students said ‘why don’t we make a grill club?’ [and] I said ‘why don’t we start a meat club?” said Brown.
Senior Noah Hannick, a member of the club since Nov. of 2023, said the club is a welcoming environment for crowds who want to cook meat.
“It’s a group of people who learn how to cook meat properly, have fun, and have a nice community,” said Hannick.
Brown has themes for the meetings, such as wings or chili cookoffs. He plans for a future meeting where members will either pay to participate or bring their supplies.
“We have a theme for the day, you can bring yourself purchased food and ingredients to cook it, or you can pay the fee,” said Brown.

HOSA
HOSA

Heatlhcare Occupations Students of America (HOSA) is a club where students who are interested in the medical field join together to learn more about careers since 2014. Science teacher Laura Ney sponsors the club which began at Summit in 2014.
Ney inherited the club from Christine Pickett in 2021. The club hasn’t been getting the recognition that it wanted. Members are trying to recruit more students into the club so everyone can gain more opportunities.
“We’re still trying to get it up and running, and we still haven’t gone to a competition,” Ney said.
The club focuses on different careers, fields, and procedures. They participate in hands-on labs and listen to guest speakers talk about their careers.
“HOSA is a national club that schools and students can participate in learning about the health field, different careers, and different procedures,” Ney said.
Ney has plans on changing HOSA to Health Science club due to HOSA expenses being high and not having the participants needed to go to competitions.
“We might transition it into a health science club, because it is expensive, especially since we’re not participating in the competition. It would be cheaper for the kids and they’d be more involved,” Ney said.
ing into the medical field.