With 25 seconds left in the quarter, junior Addyson Horn scores on Lafayette as senior Talia Manor 25 of Lafayette and sophomore Hayden Miller 28 of Lafayette try to stop the goal. The girls lacrosse game took place on April 15.
Girls lacrosse defeats their rivals 20-7
Skylar Holtgrewe, News Editor • April 24, 2024
New and Improved: The 2024 Cardinals
Emery Gregston, Sports Editor • April 24, 2024
 Sophomore Leila Miller manages the junior varsity baseball team.
Sophomore manages JV baseball team
Suham Alhamad, Social Media editor • April 24, 2024
Senior Assassin
Kamryn Samlalsingh, Associate Editor • April 24, 2024
The Rockwood School District Choirs pose for a photo at the center of Times Square in New York City.
Rockwood choirs tackle The Big Apple
Julia Worley, Website Editor • April 23, 2024

Father-son duo comes back to rock Summit

Julia Worley
In the theater, Javier Mendoza points to the crowd of students attending his concert. The concert took place on April 5.

Spanish singer and songwriter Javier Mendoza came to perform for students on April 5 in the theater. Planned by the Spanish teachers, students who take Spanish got to spend 5th and 6th hour listening to Mendoza. He played alongside his son, Gabriel, on the drums and Chuck Williams on bass. 

This was Javier’s second year performing here, and he said that his experience this year was even more active. 

“It’s great, I love it. I think it’s kind of a new spread with an even more energetic crowd,” Javier said.

Students were motivated to go by their teachers, freshman Amanda Mehrtens said.
“Señor [Eric] Hill encouraged all of his students to go to the concert. [I thought] it seemed like fun, and it did not disappoint,” Mehrtens said. 

Originally born in Spain before moving to Saint Louis, Javier said that one of his main desires for his music career was to be able to perform in both English and Spanish. 

“I have made it a mission since I started playing music to sing in both languages without any prejudice,” Javier said. 

Mehrtens said that she appreciates being able to hear Spanish music live due to the fact that it shifted her perspective on various music styles. 

“I had never heard a lot of Spanish music before, but listening to Javier Mendoza, I might start listening to it more,” Mehrtens said. 

When Javier is performing in Spanish, he said that he makes a point to not have to sing in a specific type of music. 

“Music is universal, just because I am singing in Spanish, doesn’t mean it has to be Flamenco or Latin, it could be rock or whatever,” Javier said. 

Growing up with a musician for a father, Gabriel said that Javier’s musical influence on him educated him on the ropes of the music industry. 

“[Growing up with my dad] was awesome. It raised me on lots of good music and taught me a lot of good things that I need to know,” Gabriel said. 

The father-son duo have not been performing together forever, and Javier said that Gabriel has improved his abilities over the years of playing the drums. 

“I have just seen him come a long way. He’s just a solid, real musician. He’s over there, he’s got a band. He loves it, I mean, I’m very proud of him,” Javier said.