The Student News Site of Rockwood Summit High School

Poll

Which schedule do you prefer?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

In an attempt to hold her ground, sophomore Jacida Kirk pushes her opponent off of her to get out of her grasp. The tournament took place at Washington High School on Jan. 19.
Falcons finish strong at Washington meet
Lily Maginn, Features Editor • February 2, 2024
Read Story
Musical year in review 2023
Musical year in review 2023
Abbott Lackey, Layout Editor • February 2, 2024
Read Story
To promote classes to incoming freshmen, business teacher Elizabeth DAngelo explains the benefits of taking her classes to eighth grade student Carson Farewell. Curriculum night took place on Jan. 24 in the commons
Curriculum night for eighth graders
Sonya Phillips, Business Manager • February 2, 2024
Read Story
Drum stick in hand, junior Finnley Free
poses with their instruments. “My dad
played the banjo in a blue grass band so I’ve been going to concerts and my dad’s shows ever since I was little and it’s always been a big part of my life,” Free said.
Junior juggles multiple musical instruments
Read Story
25 Things about Jason Sinclair
25 Things about Jason Sinclair
Abbott Lackey and Lily MaginnFebruary 2, 2024
Read Story

Student Council creates virtual Homecoming experience

Student Council put together a virtual spirit week Sep. 28 through Oct. 2; the theme was ‘masquerade’ and was a play on Homecoming because students were at home participating due to COVID-19.

Sponsor Jennifer Perone said she made the decision to still have a spirit week to recognize that it would have been Homecoming week.

“I was at the PSO meeting and they were talking about “can we do anything to celebrate Homecoming?” We tried to have a virtual spirit week in the spring but I think kids were so checked out. I didn’t think we would have any success but we could try again, maybe it could give some sense of normalcy even if we’re on Zoom,” Jennifer Perone said.

Student Council President, senior Lauren Perone, said less planning was required as a result of the online event.

“We had a morning STUCO meeting to brainstorm spirit day ideas, but since we go to school online we needed to keep the days easy which meant planning did not take long. Also, since we’re not in school we did not need to advertise or paint signs because we could advertise virtually,” Lauren Perone said.

Lauren Perone also said that she was excited for spirit week despite it being virtual.

“I was really excited about the virtual spirit week because it was my last Homecoming week at Summit and I just wanted to try and recreate that excitement for fall sports and the Homecoming dance, even though some things could not take place,” Lauren Perone said.

Senior Gloria Kuebee said she participated in the virtual spirit week because it was her last Homecoming.

“I decided to still dress up for the spirit days even though it was at home. Regardless if it was just on Zoom I was still excited and I’m glad that I could do something to celebrate my last Homecoming week,” Kuebee said.

While many students looked forward to the events, others did not. Senior Lul Abud said she didn’t take part in the occasion because it didn’t feel the same.

“No one wants to put on an outfit just to sit in front of a screen all day, it’s not the same feeling as having one in person,” Abud said.