Rockwood choirs tackle The Big Apple
Julia Worley, Website Editor • April 23, 2024
Social Studies teacher takes on PE department
Brice Davis, Of the Talon staff • April 23, 2024
Shooting threats made to district high schools
Mary Corkery, Editor-In-Chief • April 23, 2024
In the theater, Javier Mendoza points to the crowd of students attending his concert. The concert took place on April 5.
Father-son duo comes back to rock Summit
Emery Gregston, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024
Job fair provides opportunity to students
Skylar Holtgrewe, News Editor • April 17, 2024

Late goal gives boys soccer edge over Parkway West

The varsity boys soccer team took a close victory against Parkway West on Oct. 27 when senior Mason Crew scored with 49 seconds left on the clock.

Crew said that he took his shot when he realized the game was about to end. 

“The whole game, we were all over them and we just couldn’t get a goal. On the last corner, I looked up at the clock and it was under a minute. Personally I didn’t want to go over time, so I figured I should score. I went in for the header and realized it was way over my head, so I looped back around and the ball came right to me. Once I got my first touch to my right foot, I knew I had to shoot it,” Crew said.

During the second half of the game, a player from Parkway West broke his nose as a result of a collision with senior Ryan Montgomery. Montgomery  said that this moment added intensity to the game, which made him play harder. 

“So when it happened, I was more focused on seeing if the ball went in or not. Sadly, it hit the post. I felt something hit my head, but at the time, I had no idea the kid’s nose was broken. It sure brought some momentum to our team and increased the effort we gave at the end. Earlier in the game, someone from Parkway yelled “play harder than you have ever played before,” so we had to match that intensity,” Montgomery said.

Sophomore Tyler Bayes said that he felt the game was evenly fought on both sides, but that they could’ve probably played better overall. He said the weather added to the challenges that him and his team faced during this game.

“I thought it was a hard game for both teams. I think we could’ve played a lot better, but it was an unfortunate day with cold and wet weather,” Bayes said.

Despite the win, senior goalkeeper Dominic Haggard said that he also thought the team could have played better. 

“We could’ve played so much better. Overall we could’ve been better with passing, as they weren’t connecting. I think it just mainly was an ‘off’ day,” Haggard said.