Swim team takes 2nd at meet

Freshman breaks school record

Taylor Spencer, Editor-in-Chief

The girls swim team placed 2nd at the Nancy Brandt Invitational on Jan. 5, with one swimmer breaking a school record.

Freshman Breanna Wilkinson broke the previous school record in the 100 butterfly event by swimming a time of 58.27. Wilkinson said she was excited to be able to break the record, but wasn’t too worried because she had swam under the record before.

“I was really happy to break the record but wasn’t too nervous going into it because I am a club swimmer and have gone under the record time before but I wasn’t sure if I could do it because I have a shoulder injury that I’m still recovering from,” Wilkinson said.

Coach Lucas Benson said the team performed amazingly at the meet.

“The team did fantastic. It is our best meet so far this season. We had a lot of best times from some of our top swimmers and divers. We finished 2nd in overall team scoring for the first time in over a decade,” Benson said.

“Wilkinson broke a school record in the 100 butterfly event and finished 1st in both of her races. Sophomore Lily Maginn also finished 1st in the 500 free. Senior Kai Booher scored 2nd in diving and Jenny Reiter finished 2nd in the 100 free. [Sophomore] Sarah Lauck finished 3rd in the 500 free. Our 200 and 400 free relays also finished 2nd, improving their state consideration times,” Benson said.

Wilkinson said the team was surprised to have placed 2nd overall at the meet, but they were thrilled nonetheless.

“The meet went really well, a lot of my teammates dropped time in their events and got PRs. I’m so happy we were able to get 2nd overall. I don’t think anyone was expecting that going into the meet,” Wilkinson said.

Maginn said she was proud of her progress at this meet as well.

“I did good. I dropped time from my best times ever, not just this season, and I got 1st in the 500 which I was not expecting and I got 3rd in the 200 which I wasn’t expecting either and I dropped a lot of time in the 200. The team did good, and it helped that we had [Brooks] diving,” Maginn said.

For the future, Wilkinson said she is looking forward to challenging other records.

“I’m hoping to break the 50 free record next since I’m really focusing on the 100 fly and 50 free this season and want to go to state in those events,” Wilkinson said.