Senior Assassin
Kamryn Samlalsingh, Associate Editor • April 24, 2024
The Rockwood School District Choirs pose for a photo at the center of Times Square in New York City.
Rockwood choirs tackle The Big Apple
Julia Worley, Website Editor • April 23, 2024
Social Studies teacher takes on PE department
Brice Davis, Of the Talon staff • April 23, 2024
Shooting threats made to district high schools
Mary Corkery, Editor-In-Chief • April 23, 2024
In the theater, Javier Mendoza points to the crowd of students attending his concert. The concert took place on April 5.
Father-son duo comes back to rock Summit
Emery Gregston, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

Students celebrate different winter holidays

December is a month for many celebrations in a variety of cultures. Some of these holidays include Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa. Christmas comes from Christian and Pagan traditions. In Christian religions, Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Over the years, a variety of different customs have been incorporated into the holiday. It is a time where friends and families gather to spend time together to spread peace and love. Traditionally, children believe in Santa Claus who delivers presents to children to open on Christmas morning.

Hanukkah, is also known as the Festival of Lights, it is a Jewish holiday that is celebrated for eight days and eight nights. Hanukkah follows the Hebrew calendar and typically falls in late November to late December. Hanukkah celebrates the renewal of the Second Temple in Jerusalem; the people wanted to rededicate the temple and light the menorah as a symbol of their faith. During Hanukkah, families light the menorah, adding one candle to the menorah each night until all eight candles are lit. The ninth candle, called the shamash, is used to light the other candles. The menorah is placed in a visible spot, such as a window, to symbolize the miracle and share the light with others.

Kwanzaa is a cultural holiday that’s celebrated by many African Americans from Dec. 26 to Jan. 1. It was created in 1966 to honor African heritage and promote unity within the African-American community. Kwanzaa is based on Nguzo Saba, which are seven principles that reflect the values of African culture and promote positivity. Each of the days of Kwanzaa is dedicated to one of the principles. Families will gather to light the candles on a kinara. Starting with the black candle in the center, then alternating between lighting a red and green candle every evening to represent the seven principles.