CCE raises the price of cookies

Sonya Phillips, Of The Talon staff

This year, the cookies sold in Coordination of Cooperative Education (CCE) are now $2.

CCE is a class students take their senior year to receive credits while they work a job. Teacher Laurie Phillipp said that in the prior year they didn’t make enough money and that resulted in the price going up this year.

“So last year we didn’t really make a whole lot [of money]. We only made a few cents per transaction last year so in order for us to make money we had to raise [the price] this year because the price of the cookies went up so much. [We also had to raise the price] to offer double chocolate and the flavors that the students like [because] those cost more too,” Phillipp said.

Even though the price was raised, new flavors have been added and students get more of a variety of cookies. Phillipp said they previously had those flavors available, but last year with shortages everywhere in the world, they weren’t able to sell those.

“We’ve always had those flavors. Just last year we couldn’t get them because there were supply issues and we were still working on getting sugar cookies because the company didn’t send them. I don’t know why. I guess there’s just a shortage of those,” Phillipp said.

CCE makes the cookies in order to raise money for the Veterans Day parade where they give the veterans presents and for Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA), a club at Summit which Phillipp also runs.

“We make the cookies to get money for the veterans day assembly and for DECA throughout the school year,” Phillipp said.

Sophomore Lilly Wilken said she would still buy the cookies even with the price increase. She said the new flavors will appeal to her more since last year it was limited.

“I like that they are adding new flavors because I don’t like chocolate so I can buy the sugar cookie,” Wilken said.

Wilken also said that she believes the price is worth it since she hasn’t heard any complaints about it.

“I feel like everybody really likes them and that’s probably what they would sell at a real store. Also, I’ve never heard anyone complain about the price since they are so good,” Wilken said.

Junior Madi Crossen said she won’t always buy the cookies now because she doesn’t always remember to bring $2

“I will still buy the cookies occasionally but I usually only have like a dollar on me so I probably won’t buy them that often,” Crossen said.

Crossen also said she believes that the price isn’t worth it because she knows the price used to be cheaper.

“I feel like I’m getting ripped off because I knew they used to be a dollar and they’re just the same cookies,” Crossen said.