Falcons topple Oakville 127-55

Taylor Spencer, Editor-In-Chief

Girls swim defeated the Oakville Tigers 127-55 at the dual meet at home on Dec. 6.

Coach Lucas Benson said the meet was a success as there was lots of development despite the fact that the season has only just begun.

“It went well. We won, so that was good. We had some good personal records, some good races. It’s so early in the season but it is good to see a number of our swimmers were improving their times from last year,” Benson said.

Senior Jenny Reiter said she battled through the meet and was able to get first place in the 50 free with a time of 27.87.

“It went really well. There were a couple of tough races where it was a little close like in my 50 free. I almost lost but I pulled through and our relays did really well,” Reiter said. “We won all our relays, which was good. It was a pretty easy meet and we all put our best foot forward and there were a couple PR’s. Overall the meet went really well.”

As she swims the breast stroke, sophomore Lily Maginn comes up for air. The Falcons toppled the Oakville Tigers 127-55 at a dual meet at home on Dec. 6. (Taylor Spencer)

Benson said he has seen lots of improvement with the divers specifically this year in addition to the new swimmers.

“There were a number of really good swims here. Some of our newer swimmers had done well. Our divers have really improved. Oakville didn’t have any divers but our divers dove very well. They have done quite a bit to improve,” Benson said.

As this meet took place earlier in the season, Benson said many athletes were able to get their state consideration times.

“We saw a number of decent times. Some athletes improved on their [times] or earned state consideration times which is always good. Specifically, [freshman] Breanna Wilkinson earned State consideration for the 100 butterfly [and sophomore] Lily Maginn earned state consideration for the 200 IM. Our medley relay earned state consideration, our 200 free relay earned state consideration and our 100 free relay so it was a really good meet,” Benson said.

Maginn said despite receiving state qualification time and winning both of her events, she did not swim her best.

“It went okay. I won both of my events: the 100 Breast and 200 IM. I did better than I did last time in the 200 IM but I was still seven seconds off my best time which is to be expected because it is a dual meet,” Maginn said. “Both of the relays that I was in won: The 200 free relay and the 200 medley. The events that I swam were definitely not my best events but I still did okay.”

Reiter said there are always areas that can be bettered, but she was satisfied in achieving her best time this year in the 100 free.

“You can always improve. I didn’t [swim] my best time but I also had a pretty good time on my 100 free I went 1:01.05 which is probably my best time this year,” Reiter said.

As the team moves forward in the season, Benson said they will be focusing on strength and endurance in preparation for the postseason.

“I think going forward we want to continue to refine our strokes and our competitive skills as well as improving our strength and endurance. We need to be able to swim fast through the whole meet and we will be looking at trying to meet the objectives for all three of those things,” Benson said. “Continuing to build and improve on our skills, build and improve our endurance, and build and improve our strength. If we do all of those things we should look to see improved times and hopefully do well at Conference and State later in the season.”