Senior Assassin
Kamryn Samlalsingh, Associate Editor • April 24, 2024
The Rockwood School District Choirs pose for a photo at the center of Times Square in New York City.
Rockwood choirs tackle The Big Apple
Julia Worley, Website Editor • April 23, 2024
Social Studies teacher takes on PE department
Brice Davis, Of the Talon staff • April 23, 2024
Shooting threats made to district high schools
Mary Corkery, Editor-In-Chief • April 23, 2024
In the theater, Javier Mendoza points to the crowd of students attending his concert. The concert took place on April 5.
Father-son duo comes back to rock Summit
Emery Gregston, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

Coping with a home team that can’t win

March 30 was a day of hope for the metro area. The St. Louis Cardinals had played an exhilarating season in 2022, taking first place in the National League Central division as Yadier Molina and Albert Puljos brought their historic careers to an end. So, when it came time for the 2023 home opener, expectations for the time were sky high. Decked out in their best red and white, St. Louisans watched their team fall 10-9 to the Toronto Blue Jays.

That game was a forewarning for the rest of the year. Loss after loss began to pile up. The Cardinals have spent this season stuck at the bottom of the National League standings, with an almost permanent spot at the bottom of the NL Central. In simple terms, we suck, and the city has been left to grieve the season that could have been. From blindly hoping that “we’ll turn it around soon” to screaming at their TV screens, Cardinals fans have experienced every emotion known to man. After all, baseball is America’s favorite pastime, and St. Louis doesn’t take it lightly. As the Playoffs spot we seamlessly clinched last season inches further and further away from this year’s realm of possibility, we’re left to wonder: What now? Good question.

If you’re still not ready to give up on the Redbirds, a terrible season provides a great game day opportunity. Since attendance has decreased at Busch Stadium, waiting time has decreased at the front gate or concession stand lines. Traffic is also less of an issue, and finding a parking spot won’t be as much of a hassle.

Many stadium goers, though, have shifted their focus to CityPark. As the Cardinals got worse this year, St. Louis City SC sprung onto the scene with incredible success. Soccer has been crucial in keeping St. Louis’ fan morale from plummeting; however, City’s tickets are a pretty penny. If that’s not in your budget and you prefer to see teams that actually win, I raise you the Rockwood Summit Athletic Department.

Sure, it’s not professional, but our baseball team actually succeeded in the postseason. I doubt we’ll be able to say the same for the Redbirds. While you can’t see any baseball right now, its close relative, softball, is up and running along with nine other sports. When it comes to fan dynamics, the 026 Army prides itself as being the best across the board. Does it top the atmosphere of Busch Stadium? That’s obviously comparing apples and oranges, but I would pick the orange of the 026.

And my personal favorite part? Most of them are free! At most, you’ll be spending a few dollars. Although I am not a student athlete, this year I will be supporting them far more than our ill-fated MLB team.