The Student News Site of Rockwood Summit High School

Poll

Which schedule do you prefer?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Senior Assassin
Kamryn Samlalsingh, Associate Editor • April 24, 2024
Read Story
The Rockwood School District Choirs pose for a photo at the center of Times Square in New York City.
Rockwood choirs tackle The Big Apple
Julia Worley, Website Editor • April 23, 2024
Read Story
Social Studies teacher takes on PE department
Brice Davis, Of the Talon staff • April 23, 2024
Read Story
Shooting threats made to district high schools
Mary Corkery, Editor-In-Chief • April 23, 2024
Read Story
In the theater, Javier Mendoza points to the crowd of students attending his concert. The concert took place on April 5.
Father-son duo comes back to rock Summit
Emery Gregston, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024
Read Story

Curriculum night for eighth graders

Sonya Phillips
To promote classes to incoming freshmen, business teacher Elizabeth D’Angelo explains the benefits of taking her classes to eighth grade student Carson Farewell. Curriculum night took place on Jan. 24 in the commons

Curriculum night was held on Jan. 24 as an opportunity for the Class of 2028 to explore different classes, clubs, and sports to participate in.

Assistant principal Josten Oglesby said curriculum night is a great opportunity for the incoming freshmen to learn more about the options they will have for their first year of high school.

“[I hope the students] gain additional knowledge and information about what they may choose to pursue as far as classes and extracurricular activities in high school,” Oglesby said.

Math teacher and department chair Jamie Robertson attended the event to tell parents and students about the differences in math classes students can take as freshmen. She said that she thought this was a great opportunity for them because it was good to hear information from the teachers and students themselves.

“I think it is important for the students and parents to hear about [the math department] so they can ask questions for math teachers.We even had some students from Geometry in Construction [GIC] there so they could ask questions and they could get their questions answered without having to look at the website,” Robertson said.

Sophomore Ansley Shelton is currently in GIC, and she said she went to curriculum night to help the parents and students understand more about the class because she enjoys it and wants other people to know about the class.

“I explained to the kids and the parents how the class works, the basics of it, and the structure of the class.

I wanted to do it because I like the class and I wanted to tell them about it because I would’ve wanted to know when I was that age about this class,” Shelton said.

Health teacher Christine Hohlt said her goal at curriculum night was for the eighth graders to be aware that they have a lot of time to get their credits in and do not have to stress to do everything freshman year.

“I think it’s important for the students and parents to hear the information because they’re told one thing. They think they have to get everything done and over with. I don’t think they realize that they have plenty of time to do it so I think it was good to explain that you didn’t have to [take] Health freshman year,” Hohlt said.

If this isn’t long enough, let’s end with a quote from one of the teachers. Maybe ask them if they have noticed an increase in numbers after curriculum night or something like that