Senior Assassin
Kamryn Samlalsingh, Associate Editor • April 24, 2024
The Rockwood School District Choirs pose for a photo at the center of Times Square in New York City.
Rockwood choirs tackle The Big Apple
Julia Worley, Website Editor • April 23, 2024
Social Studies teacher takes on PE department
Brice Davis, Of the Talon staff • April 23, 2024
Shooting threats made to district high schools
Mary Corkery, Editor-In-Chief • April 23, 2024
In the theater, Javier Mendoza points to the crowd of students attending his concert. The concert took place on April 5.
Father-son duo comes back to rock Summit
Emery Gregston, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

Junior hosts foreign exchange student

On Feb. 3, junior Willow Powell welcomed sophomore Adrien Macanas into her home. Macanas is a foreign exchange student from Paris, France and lived with Powell for three weeks. Powell said when she learned about the opportunity through her french class, she knew her parents would be interested since they have had experience housing foreign exchange students.

“Both my parents had foreign exchange students and my mom loves to travel and used to do it a lot for her work so I knew once I heard about it that she would really be on the opportunity, and I told her and she was all over it,” Powell said.

Macanas said he, too, was inspired by his parents to embrace this opportunity.

“My parents told me ‘go to America’ so I thought it would be a good idea,” Macanas said.

Powell said she was unsure what to expect ahead of time and while picking up Macanas because she was unfamiliar with this process.

“I really had no expectations. I just remember being nervous. When we went to pick him up I did not know what to wear or what to even say because I just really didn’t know what to expect. I just thought this could be anything,” Powell said.

During school, Macanas accompanied Powell to her classes. Macanas said he would engage in classes here but he still has to complete his school work from France.

“[During classes here] I listen and I sometimes take notes. When there are tests I read my book. I did my [school] work [from France] this week, and now I don’t have any more work. I just have to learn my lessons for the tests when I come back,” Macanas said.

Macanas said the biggest changes here were the food, school environment, and patriotism.

“[The biggest difference here is] the food mainly. In school there are so many differences. Here it is a lot more laid back. Also the fact that here you’re so proud to be American. The flag is everywhere and the pledge and everything,” Macanas said.

Powell said this exposure has led her to become more fascinated with travel and different cultures.

“I think this experience has made me want to be more interested in travel and talk and be around people that are not from the USA. Just knowing different areas and different cultures and just different ways of life is really cool,” Powell said.

Macanas said that during his time here he hoped to make the most of this opportunity by learning the culture and language.

“I want to learn about your culture and travel by myself and live with different families which is a good experience and to speak English all the time,” Macanas said.