Muslim students celebrate Eid

Raghed Hadi

Gathering with the Imam Hussien Foundation, Muslims celebrate at the Lounge Hotel by praying Salat al-Eid. Eid-al-Fitr was observed on April 21 to mark the end of Ramadan.

Raghed Hadi, Photo Editor

Eid-al-Fitr celebrates the conclusion of Ramadan, a month-long time of fasting and introspection.  Ramadan is the Islamic holy month where Muslims fast from dawn until dusk throughout Ramadan in order to refrain from consuming food, liquids, and other necessities. This fasting period is designed to instill self-control, restraint, and empathy for others who are less fortunate. In 2023, Eid falls on April 21. Eid is one of the most significant religious holidays practiced around the world. To Sophomore Abuud Haji, Eid-al-Fitr signifies self growth.

“Eid means a celebration of you becoming a better person, repenting, getting closer with Allah and showing how devoted you are to him within Ramadan,” Haji said. 

Eid provides a chance to renew one’s resolve to lead a moral life and to think deeply about one’s beliefs. Muslims participate in early-morning special prayers, and numerous towns host major outdoor festivals, parades, and cultural events. On the first day of Eid-al-Fitr, it is common to go to a mosque and pray Salat al-Eid (the prayers of Eid), it’s also common to give gifts/money, share meals, donate to charity, etc. 

Sophomore Omar Hussein said he celebrates his month of fasting by worship and also relaxing. 

“Ramadan and Eid both feel amazing and make me feel free and calm at a spiritual level, but what’s different with Eid is that instead of putting in countless hours of worship, you can finally get up and go enjoy yourself for the day (three if it’s Eid al-Adha) as long you’re still following the religions rules. I also feel like a much better person,” Hussein said.

The message of unity, compassion, and generosity that Eid conveys is what makes it significant. It is a time for Muslims of all nationalities, ethnicities, and social classes to join together and celebrate their faith. Eid is a time of regeneration and rejuvenation for Muslims as they work to deepen their ties to both God and one another. It serves as a reminder that love, compassion, and faith are global ideals that may unite people from all walks of life in harmony and peace. Sophomore Rahma Abud said Eid is fulfilling and gratifying. 

“I think Eid is so fulfilling post Ramadan because it gives me time to celebrate with my family and friends and allows for a reset after Ramadan. It is always something I look forward to every year and is a perfect way to make myself a better Muslim” Abud said.