The Student News Site of Rockwood Summit High School

Poll

Which schedule do you prefer?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The systematic abuse of children
Skylar Holtgrewe, News Editor • May 17, 2024
Read Story
The Sun sets on Senior Year
Emery Gregston, Sports Editor • May 15, 2024
Read Story
Freshman Maddeson Chonech attempts to divert the ball from Lauren Shuert (17) of Marquette. The girls lost to Marquette 2-0 on April 22 and went on to defeat Fort Zumwalt
South.
Girls soccer takes down Bulldogs
Abby Glenn, Social Media Editor • May 3, 2024
Read Story
Posing with their medals, FBLA celebrates their victories at
districts. The District Leadership Conference took place on Feb. 7
at St. Louis University. (photo used with permission by Laurie Philipp)
FBLA performs well at district competition
Sonya Phillips, Business Manager • May 3, 2024
Read Story
Staff members say goodbye to Summit
Mariam Sedeiqi May 3, 2024
Read Story

Social Studies teacher takes on PE department

History teacher Angela Steele is taking up a new specialty next school year. Steele is going to be making a big change to her school schedule by teaching in a new department. 

Steele said she had the ability to become a PE teacher along with being a history teacher because of the lack of teachers. 

“This summer Missouri offered three free certification tests. So when you’re a teacher, once you have your degree, you can get certified in other areas just by taking tests. And because Missouri is short on teachers, they’re offering up three certification tests. So I decided to just go out there and take the PE because I knew it was something I was interested in,” Steele said. 

Steele mentioned she is happy to be able to switch up her usual routine and teach something new next school year.

“[I am] super excited. 20 years into teaching pretty much the same classes, I’m excited to do something new. I love fitness so I hope to just kind of bring a little part of my love for fitness into what I love to do, which is teaching,” Steele said.

Steele explained that it’s tough to pick between the two departments but she is glad to be able to continue teaching history classes.

“I feel like I don’t know at the moment whether or not which one I’m gonna like more. This is why next year is so perfect that I get to stay at Summit, which is where I wanna be and keep teaching Law and Justice and Honors US History, but also get to experience PE,” Steele said. 

Steele believes she is the only teacher doing this next year, but in the past ASL teacher Logan Kramer taught across departments also. 

“I don’t think I know any [other teachers doubling up classes]. At one point Mrs. Kramer did sign language and World History, but since sign language has become so popular, she only does that now. And other than that, I don’t know. I think I might be the only one,” Steele said. 

Steele stated how juggling each of the departments could be a little difficult at first but she knows that she will figure it out with the help of staff. 

“I think it’s gonna be a little bit of organized chaos, kind of bouncing back and forth from being in the classroom to being with the PE department. But luckily they have such a really great department that I think they’ll take care of me and help me out and teach me what I need to know,” Steele said. 

Steele said that she is still going to continue teaching most of the history classes she has now and just add on a single PE class into her schedule.

“I’ll still have Law and Justice and I’ll still have one Honors US history and then I’ll have one PE course,” Steele said.