All of This Will End explores sentimentality

Album Review

Abbott Lackey, Layout Editor

Following up on her sophomore album, North Carolina indie rock artist Indigo De Souza released her third full-length album featuring 11 tracks on April 28.

All of This Will End comes after an uncertain time in De Souza’s music career. A separation with her bandmates following the release of their last album gave way to new opportunities. In 2022, De Souza found her rhythm again and resumed making her most confidence-fueled project yet. In a March interview with Rolling Stone the artist remarked, “I feel like I’m in a brighter space and the album came from a brighter self.”

This new sound marks an untrodden territory for her, nourished by a genuine acceptance that feels timeless. Being less concerned with traditional structures and genre constraints, All of This Will End shows the true colors of De Souza’s untethered work.

Full of raw and sentimental hues, the record features themes of mortality, acceptance, and childhood memories. In track eight, “The Water,” the artist finds a sound that had been long gone for her. Growing up exploring Appalachian Mountains and southern swamps as a child, her inspiration often comes from natural sources. These influences are heard in her tendency to use softer-sounding vocals that blend seamlessly with instrumentals akin to the trickling of a stream down from chorus to bridge. Her connection to nature throughout All of This Will End isn’t the only thing giving the album a home-grown feel. The cover art features tones of orange and pink painted by De Souza’s mother, also featured on her other two full-length albums.

Tracks “Wasting Your Time” and “Always” parallel each other, retracting and expanding as if taking in deep breaths. Emotional build-ups in the guitar succumb to jagged riffs, distortion, and screams grounding the rawness of her words, “Father–what will you be here/If you can’t work/If you can’t play.”

If its predecessor is loved for its conveyance of insecurity, All of This Will End is marked by a transformation toward being unapologetically sentimental. All of This Will End is triumphant in its acceptance despite the emotional terrain it navigates.