Senior Assassin
Kamryn Samlalsingh, Associate Editor • April 24, 2024
The Rockwood School District Choirs pose for a photo at the center of Times Square in New York City.
Rockwood choirs tackle The Big Apple
Julia Worley, Website Editor • April 23, 2024
Social Studies teacher takes on PE department
Brice Davis, Of the Talon staff • April 23, 2024
Shooting threats made to district high schools
Mary Corkery, Editor-In-Chief • April 23, 2024
In the theater, Javier Mendoza points to the crowd of students attending his concert. The concert took place on April 5.
Father-son duo comes back to rock Summit
Emery Gregston, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

Field hockey makes history

Summit field hockey made record breaking history on August 29th beating St.Joe for the first time. The game went into overtime with 1v1 shootouts.

Junior Morgan Monrotus scored the game winning point in the final 1v1.

“During the 1v1 I was really nervous because the outcome of the game depended on me and I felt very pressured. But after I scored I was so relieved and extremely happy we won the game after how hard our team had worked for it,” Monrotus said.

Senior Avery Derode is the varsity goalie. She said the game is continuous for her and winning against this competitor was enough to almost make her cry. 

“During the game I was nervous but the whole time I had this adrenaline rush and my heart was beating really fast because the game for me is constant and afterwards I was just [feeling] relief and joy and I wanted to cry because I was really happy because Rockwood has never beat St.Joe before,” Derode said. 

With the two goals that had been made by St.Joe, Derode stayed alert to make sure not to let in any during 1v1.

“I think the 1v1 I did really good in. I didn’t let any goals in and it made up for the 2 goals I let in during the game,” Derode said. 

Head coach Andrew Neil said the team has started working on new defensive strategies with the help of new varsity assistant coach Carrie Lampe. 

“This year we are implementing some new defensive strategies coach Lampe stepped up as an assistant varsity coach focusing on defense [which] is one of her strengths. And we are really trying to utilize full field press style defense to push the ball to the side of the field we want and create turnovers in that location,” Neil said. 

He said they keep a high-minded energy and that the team goes into every game with the mindset of being able to compete with anyone. 

“We started out with some good wins so we had some positive energy going into the game. We knew St.Joe was a good team. [We are] just really bringing that energy that the team thinks they can compete with anybody,  so Summits team [is] going into every game thinking we can compete with any other team in St.Louis,” Neil said.

With not only the teams energy high from the win, other schools had reached out congratulating them and asking for pointers.

“I had received texts from other club coaches congratulating us. One of the other schools mentioned that they heard we won and they were pretty excited on their side that we beat St.Joe. This morning I got an email from Lindbergh coach congratulating us and they play St.Joe later this week so they asked for any insight on how they should plan. So people see the scores, they see that,” Neil said.