With 25 seconds left in the quarter, junior Addyson Horn scores on Lafayette as senior Talia Manor 25 of Lafayette and sophomore Hayden Miller 28 of Lafayette try to stop the goal. The girls lacrosse game took place on April 15.
Girls lacrosse defeats their rivals 20-7
Skylar Holtgrewe, News Editor • April 24, 2024
New and Improved: The 2024 Cardinals
Emery Gregston, Sports Editor • April 24, 2024
 Sophomore Leila Miller manages the junior varsity baseball team.
Sophomore manages JV baseball team
Suham Alhamad, Social Media editor • April 24, 2024
Senior Assassin
Kamryn Samlalsingh, Associate Editor • April 24, 2024
The Rockwood School District Choirs pose for a photo at the center of Times Square in New York City.
Rockwood choirs tackle The Big Apple
Julia Worley, Website Editor • April 23, 2024

Friday Night Lights Return

Falcons beat Statemen score 56-14
As+junior+Mason+Marks+%2857%29+tackles+Statesman+Senior+Henry+Brewer+%2850%29%2C+freshman+Carson+Kuemmel+%2816%29+celebrates+as+Senior+Elijah%0A%0AStevens+%284%29+rushes+the+ball+to+the+endzone.+Stevens+said+it+was%0Agreat+scoring+the+touchdown+knowing+he+helped+his+team.+
Raghed Hadi
As junior Mason Marks (57) tackles Statesman Senior Henry Brewer (50), freshman Carson Kuemmel (16) celebrates as Senior Elijah Stevens (4) rushes the ball to the endzone. Stevens said it was great scoring the touchdown knowing he helped his team.

With a total of eight touchdowns, the Falcons started off the season toppling Webster Groves with a 56-14 win on Aug. 25.

Senior Elijah Stevens scored two touchdowns for the team. He said the first game of the season is always exciting because of the energy on and off the field.

“It was great [being back]. I always love first games [and] I love the student section. Props to the student section, it makes a great atmosphere. The crowd is always on our side and we are energized and ready to play,” Stevens said.

To prepare for the game, Elijah Stevens said he watched videos on the Statesmen in order to figure out their strategies.

“I always watch a ton of film on the opponent to see what they like to do and see how they play defense, and I make sure my teammates are on the same page as well,” Stevens said.

Wide receiver senior Tyler Metz said the team did a lot of work over the summer and worked with his teammate senior Grant Gibson.

“Our summer work is a lot. We got a lot of workouts together and we practiced together. I did some stuff on the side with Grant. We trained and we just have good chemistry,” Metz said.

Senior Holden Strain said he was excited to play in a more competitive environment, rather than the scrimmages they had done over summer.

“It was nice finally getting back into everything and not just jamborees but playing in a real game,” Strain said.

With what the team knew, Strain said the team had high hopes going into the game for a first win of the season.

“We expected to win big. Even when you face an opponent like that though, you still have to go out and execute and do your job. And we did it and it ended up well,” Strain said.

Though the team succeeded, he thinks they could have worked harder at some points.

“We definitely could have played a more physical game going in. I’d say we started taking them lightly a bit and it shouldn’t have happened. Just because they’re scheduled and you think they’re going to be an easier opponent than some other team you’ll face later in the season, it doesn’t matter, you still have to go out and do what you’re supposed to do.” Strain said.

With two of the eight touchdowns, Strain conveys that there is nothing that can top the feeling of a touchdown.

“There’s no better feeling than going into the end zone. It’s unmatched compared to every other sport,” Strain said.