At their Japan table, sophmore Hiroki Fingerhut and his sister Amane, a seventh grader at Rockwood South Middle School, teach kids how to create origami at the fair. Intercultural night took place at RSMS on May 1.
Fenton hosts 2nd Intercultural Night
Mariam Sedeiqi, Talon Staff • May 3, 2024
Music department receives the Support Music Merit Award
Johanna Kruyne, of Talon Staff • May 3, 2024
Singing along to Tomorrow from the musical Annie, freshman Becca Wirthlin performs in Scenes From Seasons Past. The show took place on April 26 and 27.
Falcon Players commemorate their history with Scenes from Seasons Past
Mary Corkery, Editor-in-Chief • May 3, 2024
With a baton in hand, senior Ali Sandler strides forward ahead of Kendra Jennings of Cahokia. The 4x100m relay placed fourth at the Siebert Finch Invitational on April 13.
Track takes on Siebert-Finch
Sonya Phillips, Business Manager • May 3, 2024
Library receives DESE Exemplary School Library Program award

Girls golf takes 3rd place in State

As+she+hits+the+ball%2C+senior+Madeline+Gregston+watches+the+landing+to+see+where+her+next+swing+will+be+from.+Gregston+recieved+a+score+of+197%2C+placing+79th.+The+team+recieved+third+place+in+state+on+Monday+Oct.+16.+
raghed
As she hits the ball, senior Madeline Gregston watches the landing to see where her next swing will be from. Gregston recieved a score of 197, placing 79th. The team recieved third place in state on Monday Oct. 16.

On Monday October 16, Summit’s girls golf team took third place at the Class 3 State Tournament with a score of 713 against 8 qualifying schools.
Golf requires a strong mental game, as golfers need to maintain focus for long periods of time throughout rounds. Sophomore Madison Hall, who placed 42 with a score of 177, believes a good team plays a large factor in winning as well.
“We’re all very close. I mean they’ve been playing together the past 4 years so when I came in I had to start rebuilding everything with them and we actually fit really well together. We’re all super close, we’re basically like sisters and so that bond really helps; we kept each other sane the past few days. Our coach is super relaxed and he doesn’t yell at us, he’s very motivational and he also helps keep us sane during our round whenever we’re freaking out or about to break down. Having him there is really nice reassurance,” Hall said.
This state championship led girl’s varsity golf coach, Corey Choate, into one final victory before he retires from Summit. As for the future of girl’s golf at Summit, Choate said he is looking forward to seeing the progression of the younger talent that he didn’t get to coach all the way through. “This is actually my last year coaching the team, as I coach multiple spo rts at Eureka as well. Our JV team had a great season with tons of young potential. We are graduating 6 great seniors and I hope those younger kids work hard and continue to carry on the success of the program. I’m excited to see who will emerge as the teams’ top players next year,” Choate said.
As one of the graduating seniors Maurissa Thrall, who placed 29 with a score of 166, said in spite of her optimism, knowing this was her final high school performance affected her capabilities.
“I definitely kept a positive mentality through both days but a weakness was letting my last high school season get me emotional in the middle of my rounds,” Thrall said.
Other players that placed include: senior Lilly Poplawski who placed 51 with a score of 182, senior Claire McCarthy who placed 68 with a score of 188, and senior Madeline Gregston who placed 79 with a score of 197.