The Student News Site of Rockwood Summit High School

Poll

Which schedule do you prefer?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

In an attempt to hold her ground, sophomore Jacida Kirk pushes her opponent off of her to get out of her grasp. The tournament took place at Washington High School on Jan. 19.
Falcons finish strong at Washington meet
Lily Maginn, Features Editor • February 2, 2024
Read Story
Musical year in review 2023
Musical year in review 2023
Abbott Lackey, Layout Editor • February 2, 2024
Read Story
To promote classes to incoming freshmen, business teacher Elizabeth DAngelo explains the benefits of taking her classes to eighth grade student Carson Farewell. Curriculum night took place on Jan. 24 in the commons
Curriculum night for eighth graders
Sonya Phillips, Business Manager • February 2, 2024
Read Story
Drum stick in hand, junior Finnley Free
poses with their instruments. “My dad
played the banjo in a blue grass band so I’ve been going to concerts and my dad’s shows ever since I was little and it’s always been a big part of my life,” Free said.
Junior juggles multiple musical instruments
Read Story
25 Things about Jason Sinclair
25 Things about Jason Sinclair
Abbott Lackey and Lily MaginnFebruary 2, 2024
Read Story

Falcons fall to Wildcats in District final

Just+minutes+into+the+game+senior+Coen+Haynes+%285%29+sacks+Eureka+quarterback+Casey+Hobelman+%287%29.+It+was+a+pretty+big+play.+I+was+really+just+excited%2C+Haynes+said.+
Kamryn Samlalsingh
Just minutes into the game senior Coen Haynes (5) sacks Eureka quarterback Casey Hobelman (7). “It was a pretty big play. I was really just excited,” Haynes said.

With a record of 10-1, the football team had its final game of the season on Nov 10th against Eureka. 

Head coach Eric Stewart said the team played well but that the team should have focused more on the bigger picture.

“[We need to] learn how to prepare to not play the moment but to play for the game because I think we got a little bit big eyed thinking that this game was more important than others. I think it’s not on field stuff we need to change, it’s how we deal with adversity and [how we] respond to when things are not going the greatest,” Stewart said. 

Despite the hardships of the final game, Stewart said he is proud of the team’s season.

“I think we did a lot of things really well. We went 10-1 and I look back on that very fondly. We had a lot of fun. We were one of the better teams in the state. That’s what I look back at,  I don’t base it all on one game,” Stewart said.

Stewart said the team stayed strong up until the end and did their best to put up a fight against Eureka, but their attempts weren’t quite enough.

“I think we came out in the second half and played pretty well until late in the fourth. We had it within four points. We made the field goal and I felt pretty confident at that point. I thought we were gonna get the ball back and go down to the finish but unfortunately it didn’t end up working out that way,” Stewart said.

With a half time score of 21-7, senior linebacker Coen Haynes said he tried to stay optimistic, and thought the team had what it would take to beat the Wildcats.

“I was energized. I thought we still had a chance, so I was just going to go out there and do my best and try to bring the team up with me,” Haynes said. 

Not only in this game, but throughout the season, he said his teammates stuck it out through the times that were not so easy. 

“I thought we did a good job staying positive throughout the rough parts of the season. Anytime we were down, we were always able to lift eachother up and keep playing,” Haynes said.