The Student News Site of Rockwood Summit High School

Poll

Which schedule do you prefer?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Senior Assassin
Kamryn Samlalsingh, Associate Editor • April 24, 2024
Read Story
The Rockwood School District Choirs pose for a photo at the center of Times Square in New York City.
Rockwood choirs tackle The Big Apple
Julia Worley, Website Editor • April 23, 2024
Read Story
Social Studies teacher takes on PE department
Brice Davis, Of the Talon staff • April 23, 2024
Read Story
Shooting threats made to district high schools
Mary Corkery, Editor-In-Chief • April 23, 2024
Read Story
In the theater, Javier Mendoza points to the crowd of students attending his concert. The concert took place on April 5.
Father-son duo comes back to rock Summit
Emery Gregston, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024
Read Story

Boys wrestling falls to Griffins 48-27

Lily Maginn
On top, freshman Braeden Wehrsten-Mullane puts a leg in and looks for some fall points on opponent Logan Loporto of Vianney. This meet took place on Nov. 28 at Summit.

The Falcons fell to Vianney on Tuesday Nov. 28 with a score of 27-48.

Boys wrestling coach Brent Batcheller said considering that a majority of the team was wrestling their first varsity matches, the team started out strong but dwindled as the duel progressed.

“We performed well. We had 8 wrestlers out of 12 make their varsity debut against a team that returned everybody. We started up 21- 6 and then kind of faded from there because we are a little thin in the middle weights with just experience,” Batcheller said. 

Senior Minko Brown said that the meet could have gone better due to weight related issues. 

“The first meet went fine. We didn’t have everybody at the right weight class; everybody bumped up a weight class so not everybody was at their spot in the lineup so it’s kind of rough. Not everyone wrestled the way they wanted to wrestle. We have space for a lot of improvement,”Brown said.

Batcheller said that the lineup issues were caused by the duel falling right after Thanksgiving. 

“The first duel of the year is on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving so we don’t care about where your weights are gonna be at. We were not at our weight classes that we were supposed to be in for the season because we don’t want guys having to get down to weight too soon after thanksgiving,” Batcheller said. 

Sophomore Ayden Guthrie said the team prepares for their matches by warming up and listening to music. 

“Before our matches, we like to warm up, do a little bit of foot work and get our mind right and listen to your hype up music,” Guthrie said. 

Freshman Donovan Brown said he personally fuels his body before his matches by eating and drinking chocolate milk and pre workout. 

“I usually eat a lot of food and drink chocolate milk so I’m energized and then I drink pre workout,” Brown said. 

Batcheller said that since a lot of guys wrestled up, they struggled against their opponents since they aren’t experienced wrestling at that weight and they aren’t as physically strong. 

“Some guys weren’t supposed to be at the weight that they were at so they struggle in some of the power positions of wrestling because they were just not as physically strong in those positions or they also don’t have the reps that they need in those positions to be confident so some of those positions we are going to keep working on and getting better at at practice,” Batcheller said.