The Student News Site of Rockwood Summit High School

Poll

Which schedule do you prefer?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

In an attempt to hold her ground, sophomore Jacida Kirk pushes her opponent off of her to get out of her grasp. The tournament took place at Washington High School on Jan. 19.
Falcons finish strong at Washington meet
Lily Maginn, Features Editor • February 2, 2024
Read Story
Musical year in review 2023
Musical year in review 2023
Abbott Lackey, Layout Editor • February 2, 2024
Read Story
To promote classes to incoming freshmen, business teacher Elizabeth DAngelo explains the benefits of taking her classes to eighth grade student Carson Farewell. Curriculum night took place on Jan. 24 in the commons
Curriculum night for eighth graders
Sonya Phillips, Business Manager • February 2, 2024
Read Story
Drum stick in hand, junior Finnley Free
poses with their instruments. “My dad
played the banjo in a blue grass band so I’ve been going to concerts and my dad’s shows ever since I was little and it’s always been a big part of my life,” Free said.
Junior juggles multiple musical instruments
Read Story
25 Things about Jason Sinclair
25 Things about Jason Sinclair
Abbott Lackey and Lily MaginnFebruary 2, 2024
Read Story

Fighting to the finish; girls end second

Abbott Lackey
Freshman Ayda Demerit comes up for a breath during her freestyle lap. Her relay placed fourth in the 400 free. The meet took place on Jan. 11.

On January 4, the girls varsity swim team took second place overall at the annual Nancy Brandt Invitational. This invitational is set to honor Nancy Brandt, a prior teacher and coach at Summit starting in 1993, when the school first opened. This invitational has been taking place since 2011 after Brandt’s retirement. This year, Brandt herself was able to attend finals. Head swim coach Lucas Benson said Brandt’s presence created a special atmosphere for the meet.
“Having Nancy there was really neat. She was able to hand out the medals to those who placed and that was special. The team’s hard work really showed through during this invitational and I was proud to be able to show my team off to her. I try to teach them to embrace the difficulty of practices because that discipline leads to the fun and excitement of competition,” Benson said.
Junior Sarah Lauck placed 7th in the 200 freestyle and 4th in the 500 freestyle. She said she tries her best to discipline herself in hopes of improving her times for self growth and admiration.
“My plans for the rest of the season are just to keep focusing at practice daily and to really push myself this year in the 500 at state to hopefully make finals this year,” Lauck said.
The girl’s swim team strives to surprise themselves and continue to improve. Senior captain Julia Veith said their strongest element as a team is their diversity of swimmers and teamwork.
“We ended up getting second at the Nancy Brandt, and we were honestly all surprised because we just didn’t think we’d get second. And I think it’s because we have such a wide variety of swimmers that are able to do so many different things whereas other schools might have a few really good people. The variety at our school and on our team really helped to get that second place,” Veith said.