Senior Assassin
Kamryn Samlalsingh, Associate Editor • April 24, 2024
The Rockwood School District Choirs pose for a photo at the center of Times Square in New York City.
Rockwood choirs tackle The Big Apple
Julia Worley, Website Editor • April 23, 2024
Social Studies teacher takes on PE department
Brice Davis, Of the Talon staff • April 23, 2024
Shooting threats made to district high schools
Mary Corkery, Editor-In-Chief • April 23, 2024
In the theater, Javier Mendoza points to the crowd of students attending his concert. The concert took place on April 5.
Father-son duo comes back to rock Summit
Emery Gregston, Sports Editor • April 19, 2024

Music In Our Schools Band Concert

• Freshman Bianca Carlson plays the flute at the Music In Our Schools band concert on Feb. 27th. There was a mix of high school and middle school students at this concert. “My biggest takeaway was seeing the range of ages of band students. The Seventh Grade band played and so did seniors in Symphonic band. I thought it was great to see and hear different levels in band,” Carlson said.

• Junior Parker Trueman and freshman Lucy Vanderheyden play percussion instruments at the MIOS concert. “I was trying to stay focused because I have a part at the end that I can’t miss. I was nervous but also excited because it was our concert,” Vanderheyden said.

• Freshmen Hadley Keirsey and Kylie Phipps play pit instruments on Feb. 27th at the MIOS band concert. March is National Music In Our Schools month to raise awareness for the importance of music for children. “The song was very intense, it was called Choose Joy. [Kylie and I] had a lot of eighth notes together so we would always look to each other to keep on time,” Keirsey said.

• Junior Madeline Kelly plays the clarinet at the MIOS band concert last month. “The MIOS concert was a good opportunity to showcase the music we’ve been working on to our community and to see what we need to improve on before our large-ensemble contest and our spring concert,” Kelly said.

National Music In Our Schools Month takes place in March every year. Band students from Summit and South come together in the main gym to play music together. MIOS’s mission is to increase support for music programs for children in schools. This year, the MIOS Band Concert took place on February 27th.

Because of the combination of older and younger students at this concert, there was a large amount of people watching. Freshman Bianca Carlson explained how the abundance of spectators made her nerves skyrocket.

“I was feeling nervous since it was the MIOS concert and there was double the usual amount of people in the audience supporting people from the middle school and the high school. I think many people including myself felt good about the way we played that night,” Carlson said.

Extracurriculars almost always take place outside of the school day. Freshman Hadley Keirsey described how post-school concerts can be exhausting.

“This concert took place at night, so I was a little tired. But, I pushed through and I think that we did really well that night,” Keirsey said.